History of Manotick
Manotick ~ Ojibway for “Island in the River”
There’s a warm welcome awaiting you in Manotick, a charming village on the Rideau River where old-fashioned, small-town service is alive and well! Located just 15 kilometres south of Ottawa, you’ll find the best of rural and urban.
Enjoy a walking tour for a glimpse into the past. Don’t forget Watson’s Mill, one of the few remaining operating gristmills in Ontario, with its own tragic history and resident ghost. Treat yourself to a bag of fresh, stone-ground flour or feed the ducks!
What is a BIA?
- A Business Improvement Area or BIA is an association of business people who have joined together to promote their mutual interest.
- A BIA can only be established through a by-law passed by the municipal council at the request of the local business community.
- The Manotick BIA covers the business core, which includes over 130 businesses.
The principal mandate of a BIA is to improve business in an area defined by a by-law. A BIA does this by several means. But the most universal methods are: improving the physical environment: economic redevelopment of the local business community through advertising and promotion.
The board of Management establishes the budget for the Manotick BIA. Every business in the designated area is automatically included in the membership and contributes to the BIA’s budget. The levy is collected by the City of Ottawa but is administered by the Manotick BIA to implement its programs of activities.
- The Main St. Design Project
- Awareness and support of various community organizations
- Advertising and Promotion
- Organize and finance Special Events
- Increase directional signage
- Purchase, install and maintain seasonal decorations
- Liaise with the City of Ottawa
Board of Management 2015-2019
Dr. Salima Ismail – ChiroMax of Manotick Chiropractic Centre – Chair
Michael Mirsky – Manotick Home Hardware – Past Chair
Dianne Pritchard – Just Imagine – Vice Chair
Etienne Kerr – My Toy Shop – Treasurer
Kim Burns – Main Street Cellar
Dr.Victoria Clarke – ChiroMax of Manotick Chiropractic Centre
Darpan Ahluwalia – Manotick Natural Market
Olena Tesla-Johnson – Maitreya Yoga Studio
Jeffrey Morris – Manotick Messenger
Chris Napior – ASI Alignment Strategies Inc
Dr. George Michaliszyn – NIN Collection & Boutique
Jeff Kashin – Eyeglass Man
Gary Coulombe – St. Lawrence Printing
Stephen Bent – CIBC
Joanne Vanden Bosch Plummer – Mill Street Florist
Dr. Allykan Abdulla – Kingsway Health Centre
Councillor Scott Moffatt
Margot Belanger – Dickinson Square Heritage Inc.
Isabelle Geoffrion – Manager Watson’s Mill
Klaus Beltzner – President Manotick Village Community Association
Executive Director: Donna Smith
Manotick Business Improvement Area
P.O. Box 414 Manotick, Ontario, Canada
Donna Smith, Executive Director
Phone: (613) 692-7657